This 15 min Beet Pesto recipe is straight from my Aunts kitchen in Greece. It's packed with potassium which is great for your nervous system and muscle recovery, and immune boosting vitamin C!
1 lb of Gluten Free Pasta
2 Cloves of Garlic
20-30 Leaves of Fresh Basil
2 Tablespoona of Pine Nuts
1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt
1/2 a cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Bring a large part of water to a boil
2. Peel the Garlic
3. Wash the beets, shave them with a peeler and cut into 1/4 chunks
3. Put the oil, beets, garlic, half of the basil,and salt into a food processor or blender till smooth
4. Cook your gluten free pasta till aldente
5. In a large mixing bowl stir the sauce into the pasta and add cracked pepper, pine nuts and the rest of your basil.
Serve and enjoy!
Tonight's feast is a Miso Cod complimented with Ginger Garlic Veggies; Bok Choy, String Beans, and Broccoli
1 lb of cod
1 head of broccoli
2 handfuls of string beans
1 head of bok choy
1 bunch of scallions
1 small piece of ginger
Preheat the oven to 375
Wash and cut 1 head of broccoli, 2 handfuls of string beans, 1 head of bok choy, and 3 scallions
Slice 4 cloves of garlic
Peel and cut to matchstick size a small piece of ginger
Place the cod in a small - medium Pyrex container
toss in about 1 clove of your sliced garlic and about 1 of the chopped scallions.
Brush on about 1 teaspoon of miso paste to each piece of fish
add 2 oz of water to the Pyrex
Place in the oven to cook for 15 min
Saute 3 cloves of garlic, ginger and 3 scallions in a teaspoon on coconut oil for 2-3 mins on medium heat
Add 2-3 oz of water to the pan
Add 1 tablespoon of miso past and stir with a wooden spoon till dissolved
Add a splash of soy sauce or tamari (wheat free) and the Veggies
Your fish should be about done by now. Plate and enjoy!
Every Summer I visit my family in Greece and geek out eating all the wonderful local dishes! Back in New York I jump at the opportunity to make my favorite Greek dishes when the ingredients are available.
Today Whole Foods had the ingredients for two of my favorites - Whole Branzino and Zucchini.
This is meal is fast and pretty simple to make (have your local fish market wash and slice the fish down the midline so it's easy to work with).
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
2. Prep the Fish
- In a large Pyrex or Baking Tray add a generous amount of olive oil to both sides of the fish.
- Add 1 clove of garlic sliced, 2 slices of a lemon, 2 slices of butter, and a handful of fresh parsley to the inside of the fish
3. Start the Veggies
- Slice half a red onion, 3 - 4 zucchini, 3 cloves of garlic, two handfuls of parsley
- Cook in a large sauté pan in a generous amount of olive oil, the juice of about a 1/4 of a lemon, sea salt + pepper covered (stirring every 1-2 mins) for about 12 mins.
4. Get it crispy
- While the veggies are going, in a large pan on high heat with olive oil, cook the fish for 3 mins on each side
5. Bake the fish
- Put the fish back into the Pyrex or baking tray and bake for 10 mins.
6. Plate it
- Dish out the veggies on a large serving platter and lay the fish on top.