This 15 min Beet Pesto recipe is straight from my Aunts kitchen in Greece. It's packed with potassium which is great for your nervous system and muscle recovery, and immune boosting vitamin C!
1 lb of Gluten Free Pasta
2 Cloves of Garlic
20-30 Leaves of Fresh Basil
2 Tablespoona of Pine Nuts
1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt
1/2 a cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Bring a large part of water to a boil
2. Peel the Garlic
3. Wash the beets, shave them with a peeler and cut into 1/4 chunks
3. Put the oil, beets, garlic, half of the basil,and salt into a food processor or blender till smooth
4. Cook your gluten free pasta till aldente
5. In a large mixing bowl stir the sauce into the pasta and add cracked pepper, pine nuts and the rest of your basil.
Serve and enjoy!
Coconut Creamy Red Lentil Soup
This creamy soup is a perfect meal!
16 oz of red lentils - soaked and rinsed
1 yam or sweet potato
5 cloves of garlic
2 large sweet yellow onions
1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
3 large leaves of kale - soaked and rinsed
2 large carrots
8 oz of cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 can of coconut cream or pure milk
Spice it up:
Add as much cayenne pepper as you can take. It gives it that extra something.
1. Fill a large pot 3/4 of the way with water and bring to a boil
2. Peel and chop the two onions into small pieces. Saute in a pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil until they start to brown. You want a mix of translucent and browning for optimum flavor.
3. While the onions start cooking, wash and slice the tomatoes. Stir them in with the onions
4. Peel and slice the garlic. Toss into the water
5. Wash and cut the yam / sweet potato into small chunks. Toss into the water
6. Add the salt, coconut cream and chili flakes to the water
7. Wash, peel and chop the carrots. Place to the side. You'll add them in 10 mins before the soup is done.
8. Wash and cut the kale. Place in a large bowl filled with water to soak it. This removes anti-nutrients and ensures there are no little buggies in the leaves.
9. Once the water is boiling add the lentils to the pot and leave uncovered. Lower to a low heat. Set a timer for 30 mins and stir every few minutes.
10. After 30 minutes add the carrots. Cook for another 10 Mins
11. Rinse the kale
12. Serve the soup with a handful of kale on top of each bowl.
Happy heart veggie soup
In the Winter there is nothing better than a big bowl of soup! This one is fast, easy and delicious!
1 bunch of a parsley
1 bunch of scallions
2 large zucchinis
3 large carrots
2 handfuls of spinach
2 cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons of avocado or coconut oil
6 red potatoes
Fill a large pasta boiling pot 3/4 of the way with water and bring to a boil
Slice the garlic cloves and scallions and chop the parsley then add all three to the pot of water
Chop the red potatoes in eigths and add to the water once it's boiling. Let them boil for 30 mins - set a timer if you want.
While the potatoes are doing their thing...
Add the oil to the water
Slice the zucchini into bite size chunks
Chop the carrots
Salt the pot to taste - start with about a teaspoon then taste test - add more as need adding a little at a time
Add pepper and chayenne to taste
After the potatoes have boiled for 30 mins add the zucchini and carrots to the pot and boil for another 15 mins
Toss in the spinach and you're done!
You're ready to serve and cozy up!
Miso Cod Feast
Tonight's feast is a Miso Cod complimented with Ginger Garlic Veggies; Bok Choy, String Beans, and Broccoli
1 lb of cod
1 head of broccoli
2 handfuls of string beans
1 head of bok choy
1 bunch of scallions
1 small piece of ginger
Preheat the oven to 375
Wash and cut 1 head of broccoli, 2 handfuls of string beans, 1 head of bok choy, and 3 scallions
Slice 4 cloves of garlic
Peel and cut to matchstick size a small piece of ginger
Place the cod in a small - medium Pyrex container
toss in about 1 clove of your sliced garlic and about 1 of the chopped scallions.
Brush on about 1 teaspoon of miso paste to each piece of fish
add 2 oz of water to the Pyrex
Place in the oven to cook for 15 min
Saute 3 cloves of garlic, ginger and 3 scallions in a teaspoon on coconut oil for 2-3 mins on medium heat
Add 2-3 oz of water to the pan
Add 1 tablespoon of miso past and stir with a wooden spoon till dissolved
Add a splash of soy sauce or tamari (wheat free) and the Veggies
Your fish should be about done by now. Plate and enjoy!
Taste of Greece
Every Summer I visit my family in Greece and geek out eating all the wonderful local dishes! Back in New York I jump at the opportunity to make my favorite Greek dishes when the ingredients are available.
Today Whole Foods had the ingredients for two of my favorites - Whole Branzino and Zucchini.
This is meal is fast and pretty simple to make (have your local fish market wash and slice the fish down the midline so it's easy to work with).
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
2. Prep the Fish
- In a large Pyrex or Baking Tray add a generous amount of olive oil to both sides of the fish.
- Add 1 clove of garlic sliced, 2 slices of a lemon, 2 slices of butter, and a handful of fresh parsley to the inside of the fish
3. Start the Veggies
- Slice half a red onion, 3 - 4 zucchini, 3 cloves of garlic, two handfuls of parsley
- Cook in a large sauté pan in a generous amount of olive oil, the juice of about a 1/4 of a lemon, sea salt + pepper covered (stirring every 1-2 mins) for about 12 mins.
4. Get it crispy
- While the veggies are going, in a large pan on high heat with olive oil, cook the fish for 3 mins on each side
5. Bake the fish
- Put the fish back into the Pyrex or baking tray and bake for 10 mins.
6. Plate it
- Dish out the veggies on a large serving platter and lay the fish on top.
Fuel Your Body Well
Miss Eryka Clayton